Monday, December 30, 2013

Roasted Tomato Bruschetta

My family went out to lunch the other day and one of our appetizers was bruschetta. I haven't had that in awhile and it was so good. I love the taste of fresh tomatoes, basil and red onion. Such a great treat in the summer when tomatoes are in season! This morning I was preparing some freezer meals and saw the pint of grape tomatoes in my fridge. I had originally bought them with the intention of making a pasta dish, but that didn't happen and they were starting to go bad. I thought about the bruschetta and thought that would be a tasty treat. Since tomatoes aren't really in season now, I decided to roast them. This is how I prepared this tasty treaty. 

I emptied the pint onto a baking sheet and preheated the oven to 400 degrees. I drizzled extra virgin olive oil over the tomatoes and seasoned with salt and pepper. I tossed them around on the sheet to get an even coat and placed it in the oven. 


I let them roast for about 20 minutes. 


I let them cool so that I can handle them with my fingers. I chopped them up and put them in a bowl. I then diced a quarter of a red onion. 


I tossed that in the bowl with the tomatoes and added a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I added some dried basil and mixed everything together. 


I let it sit in the fridge for several hours so all the flavors could meld together. When snack time rolled around, I took a slice of thin bread and brushed it with olive oil and put it in the toaster oven to brown it and make it crisp. I cut the bread into 3 pieces. I sliced 2 thin slices of Bel Gioso fresh mozzarella and placed them onto the bread. I then put a heaping spoonful on top of each piece. What a delightful snack!










No comments:

Post a Comment