Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Light Louisiana Gumbo - a Yummy Recipe to Share

I made this about a month ago, but wanted to share. I had found the recipe in SELF, and I have to say it's quite delicious. I'll share the recipe which you can also find here and also mention what I did differently.

 
Light Louisiana Gumbo

 
INGREDIENTS
  • 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch chunks
  • 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 2 chicken sausages, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
  • 3 cups chopped celery
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup cored, seeded and chopped green bell pepper
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1/4 cup packed chopped fresh thyme
  • 2 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
  • 15 oz diced tomatoes with juice
  • 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/2 lb medium shrimp, shelled and deveined (about 20 shrimp)
  • 16 oz frozen sliced okra
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley

PREPARATION
Sprinkle chicken with Cajun seasoning. Heat oil in large pot over high heat. Brown chicken and sausage, turning once, 2 to 3 minutes. Add celery, onion, bell pepper, garlic and thyme. Cook until vegetables start to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add 1 tbsp water if vegetables stick. Reduce heat to medium. Sprinkle flour over meat-vegetable mixture. Cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add tomatoes, juice and broth. Simmer, covered, until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Add shrimp and okra; simmer, covered, until shrimp is cooked through and okra is tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Garnish with parsley.
THE SKINNY
276 calories per 2 cups, 7 g fat (1 g saturated), 26 g carbs, 8 g fiber, 27 g protein

 
What I did differently:
I chopped up 5 long stalks of celery, 1 large green bell pepper, used one can of low sodium 99% fat free chicken broth, and I forgot to add the parsley. One thing I do recommend doing is seasoning your shrimp with the cajun seasoning. The recipe only says to season the chicken, but I feel like it needed a bit more flavor so next time I make it, I'll be adding the seasoning to the shrimp as well. It was absolutely phenomenal. And it's only 6 PointsPlus Value on Weight Watchers for 2 cups!!

No comments:

Post a Comment