Thursday, April 21, 2011

My LASIK Experience

I finally did it! I have been wanting to do this for years and so glad I finally had it done. It's been about 13 hours since the procedure and it's amazing the difference in my vision. I'll start from the beginning so anyone that is interested in getting it done has some idea of what to expect.

Research your doctors. As I mentioned above, this is something that I have wanted to do for years. Definitely over a decade. I had asked questions to all my eye doctors throughout the years about it. Finally when I was ready to have the procedure done I found a doctor that was highly recommended and has offices in both Garden City and Manhattan. I ended up using Dr. James Kelly of Kelly Laser Center.

I originally met with Dr. Kelly back in December to see if I qualified for LASIK. He is the type of doctor that if there is any chance of complication then he won't recommend it for you. Lucky for me, I was the perfect candidate and was able to do either of the procedures (LASIK or Veriseye). Dr. Kelly's staff gave me materials after my consultation and went over everything with me. While LASIK is a more invasive procedure, I felt more comfortable with it since it has been around for a much longer period and technologies have been updated to make it better.

Prepping for the procedure was very easy. In the materials I had received, I had two prescriptions (eye drops) to fill which is to be used after the procedure. I dropped those off about 10 days before my appointment since Dr. Kelly had said some pharmacies might not have the one drop in stock and they would need time to order it. Sure enough when I went to CVS they only had the one and had to order the other. Also part of the prep is not wearing contact lenses for a minimum of 5 days prior. I had my contacts out for a full 6 days. This wasn't so bad since April has been such a rainy month. I didn't have to worry about the sun bothering my eyes those few days.

During my initial consultation I was told my eyes will need to rest because they will be in protective mode and tear like crazy and I should expect discomfort. It was recommended to take a Tylenol PM after to help me just fall asleep. My appointment was set for 6pm and I brought my Advil PM with me to take after.

The procedure itself was so weird. I laid down on a table (which was almost like a dentist's chair that full reclined down) and my hair was in one of those bouffant caps. The nurse put two types of drops in my eyes. One was bacterial to cleanse my eye and the other was to numb my eye. I didn't feel any type of numbness in my eye, but when the doctor did the procedure it sure was! Dr. Kelly explained everything to me as he was completing the surgery. He put this machine with a laser in it over my face (not right in front since he needed room for his hands) that had a flashing orange light in it. We started with my left eye. He put a clamp like device in my eye to keep my eyelids open. This was uncomfortable. It wasn't painful, I just wanted it off my face. Then he used the device to slice the front flap. (There is no blood or anything like that and there is no pain because your eye is numb.) When he did this there was pressure. (Close your eye and stick your finger on your eyelid and push. This was the pressure I felt.) During this time he said I would see black. I did and then he removed the device and I saw that flashing orange light again. He pulled back the flap and started the laser up. This took several seconds to a minute. I felt absolutely nothing but saw the flashing orange light. When that was done he put the flap back over, which I thought was so weird because I could see him using these little instruments on my eye but couldn't feel a thing! He removed the clamp and tada! Done! He put a piece of black paper over my eye and went on to the next. Everything was done within a matter of minutes.

When I got up, I could actually see better, but it was as if I had a big smudge on my contact that made it foggy. I sat in a "recovery room" for a few minutes and then it was time to go. I put on the glasses they gave me and we headed home. I expected the tearing to start right away but that didn't happen until later.

We got home and I started to feel the numbness come off my eyes. It felt like pins and needles, just not as severe as when your hand falls asleep. Nothing painful, but that was the sensation I felt. I had my eyes closed most of the time because opening made them tear due to any light. I started to feel uncomfortable so I popped two Advil PM and just put my head back. I was beginning to get really uncomfortable so I went to bed. I couldn't fall asleep since I wasn't really tired and the Advil PM wasn't kicking in. Any time I opened my eyes tears would just gush out. At some point I just fell asleep. I woke up at 5:15 and my eyes were no longer tearing. You know how I knew it was 5:15? Because I could see the clock!!! I went back to sleep and woke up about 7:30.

It's amazing that I can see without anything. It feels like I slept with my contacts in. I can see very well but it's still a little foggy, not 100% clear. I go back to see Dr. Kelly today to make sure everything is okay.  Right now my eyelids are very swollen and my eyes are red. (They went through a trauma so this is expected.) I'm sure as the day goes on my eyes will feel better and my vision with become clearer. I'm so happy I finally did this procedure and recommend it to anyone that is considering it!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the whole experience, Michelle! I never knew what really happened. I'm still not sure I'd want to get it, since I'm too chicken. But it sure would be nice to be able to see the clock in the morning! I wish you all the best with your recovery.

    ReplyDelete