Thursday, February 14, 2013

Lots to learn with couponing

Knowing that CVS was offering a lot of ExtraCare Bucks on certain purchases, I decided to give it a whirl to see how good I would do. My goal was to spend the least amount of money possible. I screwed up and could have saved more, but lesson learned. This stuff takes time. This is what I went in for:

Spend $30 on specific P&G products get $10 ECB
Buy Colgate Optic Whitening get $2.50 ECB

I had coupons for:
$3 off one Gillette cartridge (included in deal) and one razor
$2/2 Pantene products
$1/1 Robitussin
$5 off $25 purchase

I scanned my ExtraCare card when I got into the store and got coupons for:
$1.50 off $5 shampoo, conditioner, styling products (not salon)
$2.50 off Colgate Optic Whitening Toothpaste

I put the following items in my basket:
Gillette cartridge (P&G deal)
Gillette razor
Pepto Bismol (P&G deal)
Robitussin
3 Pantene conditioners (P&G deal)
2 Cadbury eggs

I really should have read the info on the ECB a bit more carefully. I thought I would be able to do this no problem, but it didn't happen that way. I ended up spending about $32 out of pocket. I did end up with some free stuff, but I could have done better. I think my issue was that in my first transaction I only had about $28 toward the P&G ECB deal and the one Gillette razor was not included in that but I had to put it with that to use my coupon. My total came to over $30 and I used the coupons (Gillette, Pantene, $5/$25, $1.50/$5) which brought me to $26 with tax. I had to ring up the Pepto separately so I could get the $10 ECB. I then had them ring up the Robitussin and Cadbury eggs, gave my coupon and had over a $5 credit. I had to get something else so I wouldn't lose the credit so I grabbed the Colgate Optic White toothpaste and then owed about $.67 at the end. I used a colgate coupon but I completely forgot about the $2.50 off coupon I got when I scanned my card! So I could have gotten something else too. I also realize I could have gotten 6 Pantene items and would have hit the $30 and would have been able to use my other Pantene coupons. I didn't need the Gillette things, but got them because of the coupon. I need to strategically plan this out better for next time.

When I got home I had 2 ibotta deals and submitted those too for an additional $2 back. I plan to go back and pick up another Colgate toothpaste and get it for free. I got another ibotta deal for it as well for $1.50.

In the end I still have that $2.50 coupon and also received an additional $5.50 in ECB to use towards my next purchase. I'll see what I can get this week. I already plan to get the Barilla microwaveable meals since I have several $1/1 coupons.

Saving money like this is fun. I enjoy figuring this stuff out! We'll see what happens next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment