Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Excellent Customer Service

Many people are quick to complain about a company that has wronged them, but it's very rare we hear of companies that provided excellent customer service. I had a very positive experience recently and sharing it as much as I can. I am hoping my story gets shared enough that people will take the time to acknowledge those stores that really care about their customers.

In December 2011, I purchased 2 hockey jerseys - one for myself and one for my husband. I only wore mine to the few games we went to and followed the washing instructions per the label. About 3 months after I purchased it and several washes later, one of the numbers on the back of the jersey had tears in it. I couldn't figure out for the life of me how this happened because the jersey is turned inside out and is hung up to dry. I was upset that my pricey article of clothing was now ruined. Thinking it was a lost cause since I didn't have the receipt to prove anything, I just hung it up in my closet. (It was the end of the season anyway).

Fast forward to this hockey season, which didn't start until a few weeks ago. We went to the game on Saturday so I pulled my jersey out of my closet. I completely forgot about the tears in it. I really didn't want to spend more money on another one because it really wasn't my fault this happened. I decided to contact Reebok (the manufacturer) to see how I can go about getting it inspected since it was clearly a defect. I sent off an email and listed all the details and included the chronicle of events since I purchased it. I was dismissed with a generic email stating that since I was passed the one year warranty, they couldn't help me. I followed up with a phone call not mentioning when I purchased it and was told I needed to provide photos, the receipt (or credit card statement) and they would evaluate it. But I knew because my CC statement shows December 2011 they were not going to help me. (Way to stand behind your product!)

I posted my disappointment on Facebook and a friend sent me a private message asking where I bought it. I told her I got it at Modells and she suggested I email the CEO because he is known for his excellent service. Later that night I googled him and saw he was recently on the show Undercover Boss. I immediately thought great, I'll email him and it will never get through. I found his email easily enough and sent off a respectful and honest note letting him know I've been a very satisfied customer for years and I have an issue with a jersey. This morning I woke up to a reply from him! He said he was sorry there was an issue with the product and asked someone within his team to help me out (I'm guessing she is the head of customer service). She called me today and located a new jersey at a location close to my office. I just picked up and have a brand new jersey. I am thrilled.



Modells really went above and beyond for me and I will continue to be a patron of their store. I can't express my gratitude enough to them. So, if you are looking for sporting goods, definitely check out Modells. They have great prices, products, and excellent customer service. You won't be sorry you shopped there.

No comments:

Post a Comment